Sunday, April 13, 2008

Ask me to flash you

I'm scanning my negatives from this weekend and it appears that "The Darkness," as I've named it, continues. I feel it describes what is happening to my images and, in a teen angst sort of way, the impact it's having on my life. Even worse, something happened to a roll of film that has to be development because I have this strange, wavy, chemical streak on some of them. This is potentially a shutter issue, no way my camera did that. My shutter is not shaped like cheesy decorative edge scrapbooking scissors. This angers me immensely. At the very least they owe me my money back and a roll of my beloved Fuji Press 800.

All the nastiness aside I still sort of have a camera, even though EOS is coming to mean "Every other shot" more and more each day. I still love her, it's just hard to see her go.

On the upside I conquered, or at least chipped away at, my fear of using flash. I could have totally tore it down, but I got told I couldn't use my flash. Makes very little sense to me considering that everyone in there was using little P&S cameras with mosquito-esque flashes going left and right. My flash was worth more than their cameras and at least I have the timing not to shoot say, as they're jumping.

I should have remembered, I knew their was a no flash allowed Olympic sport I just couldn't remember which it was. Nonetheless this is my first picture using flash I've had the courage to develop. I just trusted my camera's brain (which is still good) and let her rip. Sure enough, it came out alright. Not bad for a dank, dimly lit hallway. The skin is a touch blown out, but my fearing for the worst was obviously not needed.

Hooray! Now I can officially continue on with my plan of world domination!

No comments: